Skip to main content
- Autonomous Systems (Robotic vehicles, smart sensors for assisted living)
- nonlinear system identification and control
- medical image processing
- PhD (Electrical and Computer Engineering), Queen’s University 2003
- MSc (Electrical and Computer Engineering), Queen’s University, 1996
- BSc (Electrical Engineering), Queen’s University, 1989
- Medical Image Processing
- Information Technology in Medical Research and Health Care
- Electric Circuits
- Electrical and Computer Engineering Project (Instructor)
Publications and presentations
Selected publications and presentations
- J.M. Eklund, M.J. Korenberg and P.J. McLellan, “Nonlinear system identification and control of a chemical process using fast orthogonal search” submitted to Journal of Process Control, December 2005.
- F. Mobasser, J.M. Eklund and K. Hashtrudi-Zaad, “Hand force estimation with EMG signals using the fast orthogonal search method,” submitted to IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, October 2005.
- Jonathan Sprinkle, Aaron D. Ames, J. Mikael Eklund, Ian Mitchell, S. Shankar Sastry, “Online Safety Calculations for Glideslope Recapture,” Innovations in Systems and Software Engineering, vol. 1, no. 2, pp., Aug., 2005.
- J.M. Eklund and M.J. Korenberg, “Simulation of aircraft pilot flight controls using nonlinear system identification.” SCS Simulation, Volume 75, Number 2, pp. 72-81, 2000.
- T.R. Hansen, J.M. Eklund, J, Sprinkle, R. Bacsy and S. Sastry, “Using smart sensors and a camera phone to detect and verify the fall of elderly persons,” European Medical & Biological Engineering Conference (EMBEC 2005), November 2005.
- J.M. Eklund, T.R. Hansen, S. Sastry, “SensorNet: A heterogeneous wireless infrastructure for assisted living,” IEEE Annual Conference of the EMBS (EMBC 2005), September 2005.
- J.M. Eklund, R. Bajcsy, J. Sprinkle, G.V. Simpson “Computing MEG Signal Sources”, IEEE Computational Systems Bioinformatics Conference (CSB 2005), August 2005.
- J.M. Eklund, J. Sprinkle and S. Sastry, “Implementing and testing a nonlinear model predictive tracking controller for aerial pursuit/evasion games on a fixed wing aircraft"”. 24th American Control Conference (ACC 2005), pp. 1509-1514, June 2005,.
- J. Sprinkle, J.M. Eklund and S. Sastry, “Deciding to land a UAV safely in real time”.24th American Control Conference (ACC 2005), pp. 3506-3511, June 2005.
- J. Sprinkle, J.M. Eklund, H.J. Kim and S. Sastry, “Encoding aerial pursuit/evasion games with fixed wing aircraft into a nonlinear model predictive tracking controller”, IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC 2004), pp. 2609-2614, December 2004.
- J.M. Eklund, F. Mobasser and K. Hashtrudi-Zaad, “Hand force estimation using fast orthogonal search”, IEEE Annual Conference of the EMBS (EMBC 2004), pp. 696-698, September 2004.
- J. Sprinkle, J.M. Eklund and S. Sastry, “Toward design parameterization support for model predictive control”, International Conference on Intelligent Systems Design and Applications (ISDA 2004), August 2004.
- E.L. Morin, S.A. Reid, J.M. Eklund, J.M. Stevenson and J.T. Bryant, “Comparison of three measures of ground reaction force: force plate, Fscan® and multiple force sensors”, Proceedings, IV World Congress of Biomechanics, Calgary Alta, August 2002.
- J.M. Eklund and M.J. Korenberg, "“Practical aspects of aircraft flight control simulation using parallel cascade identification.” Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Nonlinear Problems in Aviation and Aerospace, Daytona Beach, FL, 1998.
- J.M. Eklund and M.J. Korenberg, “A self-tuning method for improving the accuracy of aircraft flight control simulations.” Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Nonlinear Problems in Aviation and Aerospace, Daytona Beach, FL, 1998.
- J.M. Eklund and M.J. Korenberg, “Nonlinear equalisation using parallel cascade identification.” Proceedings of the 19th Biennial Symposium on Communications, Kingston, ON, pp. 150-153, 1998.
- J.M. Eklund and M.J. Korenberg, “Parallel cascade simulation of an aircraft flight control system.” Intelligent Engineering Systems Through Artificial Neural Networks, Volume 7, Editors C.H. Dagli, M. Akay,. O. Ersoy, B.R. Fernandez, A. Smith. ASME Press Series, pp. 993-1000, 1997.
- “Health Care Information Technology at CITRIS” - presented to Telecom Italia, CITRIS, Berkeley CA, February 7, 2006.
- “Information Technology for Assisted Living at Home"” - presented as a panellist at Connection III Conference, Berkeley CA, August 12, 2005.
- “Information Technology and Health Care: The ITALH Project” - presented at CITRIS Corporate Sponsors Day, NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field CA, April 17, 2005.
- “Elder tech for home and health: Proposal for a joint initiative between the Bay Area, Denmark and Finland” - presented to the Danish Innovation Council, Copenhagen, October 26, 2004. Available online: http://www.innovationsraadet.dk/
- “Networks of Unmanned Underwater Vehicles” - presented to the Office of Naval Research, Stanford University, Palo Alto CA, December 2, 2005.
- “Open Control Platform Transition to ESCHER” - presented to the ESCHER General Meeting, Vanderbilt University, Nashville TN, June 16, 2005.
- “Pursuit-Evasion Games for Networks of Unmanned Underwater Vehicles” - presented to the Office of Naval Research, November 12, 2004, Arlington VA.
- “Software Enabled Control Capstone Demonstration: Pursuit/Evasion Games with Fixed Wing Aircraft”- presented in the UC Berkeley CHESS Seminar Series, September 21, 2004.
- “Aerial Pursuit Evasion Games Using Nonlinear Model Predictive Control” - presented to the Defense Advance Research Projects Agency, Chicago, IL, May 12, 2004.
- “Safe Landing Decisions for an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Safely Using Level Set Methods” - presented to the Defense Advance Research Projects Agency, Chicago, IL, May 12, 2004.