Skip to main content
- Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics
- Interfacial Phenomena and Phase Change Processes
- Microfluidics and Optofluidics
- Sustainable Energy
- Direct Solar Energy
- Evaporative Cooling and Evaporating Droplets
- Global Health Technology
- Solar Water Treatment
- Photocatalytic Nanotechnology
- Water Quality Monitoring
- Lab-on-a-Chip Technology
- PhD (Mechanical Engineering), University of Toronto, 2011
- MASc (Mechanical Engineering), University of Victoria, 2006
- BASc (Mechanical Engineering), University of Waterloo, 2004
- Fluid Mechanics
- Heat Transfer
- Applied Thermal and Fluids Engineering
- Advanced Engineering Mathematics
Publications and presentations
Selected publications and presentations
- Gong, M.M., MacDonald, B.D., Nguyen, T.V., Nguyen, K.V., Sinton, D., "Lab-in-a-pen: a diagnostics format familiar to patients for low-resource settings," Lab on a Chip, Vol. 14, Issue 5, pp. 957-963, 2014.
- MacDonald, B.D., Gong, M.M., Zhang, P., Sinton, D., "Out-of-plane ion concentration polarization for scalable water desalination," Lab on a Chip, Vol. 14, Issue 4, pp. 681-685, 2014.
- Gong, M.M., MacDonald, B.D., Nguyen, T.V., Nguyen, K.V., Sinton, D., "Field tested millilitre-scale blood filtration device for point-of-care applications," Biomicrofluidics, Vol. 7, Issue 4 pp. 044111-1 to 044111-11, 2013.
- Gong, M.M., MacDonald, B.D., Nguyen, T.V., Sinton, D., “Hand-powered microfluidics: A membrane pump with a patient-to-chip syringe interface,” Biomicrofluidics, Vol. 6, Issue 4, pp. 044102-1 to 044102-13, 2012.
- MacDonald, B.D., Ward, C.A., “Onset of Marangoni convection for evaporating sessile droplets,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 383, Issue 1, pp. 198-207, 2012.
- MacDonald, B.D., Ward, C.A., “Onset of Marangoni convection for evaporating liquids with spherical interfaces and finite boundaries,” Physical Review E, Vol. 84, Issue 4, pp. 046319-1 to 046319-10, 2011.
- Das, K., MacDonald, B.D., Ward, C.A., “Stability of evaporating water heated through the vapor and the liquid phases,” Physical Review E, Vol. 81, Issue 3, 036318-1 to 036318-14, 2010.
- Li, W., Pham, H., Nie, Z., MacDonald, B.D., Guenther, A., Kumacheva, E., “Multi-step microfluidic polymerization reactions conducted in droplets: The internal trigger approach,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 130, Issue 30, 9935-9941, 2008.
- MacDonald, B.D., Rowe, A., “Experimental and numerical analysis of dynamic metal hydride hydrogen storage systems,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 174, Issue 1, 282-293, 2007.
- MacDonald, B.D., Rowe, A., “A thermally coupled metal hydride hydrogen storage and fuel cell system,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 161, Issue 1, 346-355, 2006.
- MacDonald, B.D., Rowe, A., “Impacts of external heat transfer enhancements on metal hydride storage tanks,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 31, Issue 12, 1721-1731, 2006.