Research Excellence Award
The Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science is committed to excellence in research. The Award for Research Excellence has been established to recognize and encourage overall research excellence, important research achievements, and research that has significant impact on society, industry and the disciplines of engineering and applied science. The award is made to a faculty member in the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science.
The award is also intended to publicize research excellence in the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science across the University and in the wider community, and to promote informed discussion of research and its improvement.
The award consists of a $500 credit for professional development and a commemorative award certificate. In addition, the name of the Award winner will be displayed on a permanent wall plaque in the general office of the Dean of Engineering and Applied Science.
The recipient may be recognized at an appropriate public event, such as a Faculty’s Awards Celebration for the subsequent year.
One award will be presented annually. Occasionally, depending on the number of eligible faculty and the number of exceptional nominees, additional awards may be given. In the event that nominations fail to meet the award criteria in a given year, the Selection Committee reserves the right not to grant an award in that year.
- Any faculty member in the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science, including those with partial appointments in the Faculty, is eligible for nomination.
- Previous winners of this award during the past seven years are not eligible.
- The Dean and faculty members on the Research Award Selection Committee are not eligible for the award.
A nominee should be considered to be an excellent researcher, over a sustained period of time. The criteria to be evaluated include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Research outputs (e.g., publications, patents, published design work) and their quality and innovativeness.
- Impact of the research on society, industry and the disciplines of engineering and applied science.
- The training and research opportunities provided the nominee to highly qualified research personnel (e.g., undergraduate student researchers, graduate thesis students, post-doctoral researchers, technical support staff), and the role played by these personnel in the research.
- The role of research support and partnerships in the nominee’s work, and levels and sources of external research funding obtained. The results of investments in the nominee’s research by UOIT are also considered.
- Demonstrated leadership in promoting research excellence.
- Letters of support (optional).
Research achievements are recognized as those arising from work carried out or supervised by faculty while engaged in research activities at UOIT.
The selection committee considers the record of each nominee in the award year under consideration, and over his/her career at UOIT.
Where cross-appointed faculty members are nominated, the focus is on their research related to the mission and scope of the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science.
Nominations should be submitted to the Research Award Selection Committee, c/o the Office of the Dean, Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science. One paper copy and an electronic version of the submission (emailed to email@example.com) are required.
Students, faculty or technical staff of UOIT may make nominations, individually or collectively.
Nominators must inform the nominee of their intention to submit a nomination and determine that the nominee is willing to let his or her name stand for the award.
There is no nomination form. Nominations should address the general criteria listed in the previous section and should include the following supporting material:
- A covering letter from the nominator(s), outlining why the nominee merits the award. The letter should include the position and full contact information (email and mailing address, phone number) of the nominator(s).
- A standard UOIT curriculum vitae.
- A current Personal Data Form according to the requirements of NSERC, SSHRC or CIHR.
- A statement (500 words maximum) by the nominee outlining his or her research and its societal and industrial impact.
- Up to three examples of research excellence and achievement (e.g., publications, patents) of the nominee (optional).
- Letters of support from referees from outside UOIT who are highly knowledgeable about the field of research of the nominee (optional).
- Letters of support from present and former colleagues, who are involved in or knowledgeable about the research of the nominee (optional).
Deadline for Nominations and Selection Process
The deadline for nominations for the Award for Research Excellence in a given academic year is June 1, but nominations may be submitted at any time.
The Selection Committee will meet in June to consider all nominations received in the preceding June to May time period. The committee will review all nominations for evidence of research excellence according to the above criteria. Nominees will be notified of their status when deliberations of the committee are completed. The winner will be announced by the end of June each year.